By Jim Shilander
San Clemente’s four-year odyssey toward a new General Plan is in a new phase, although it is likely going to take slightly longer than estimates made earlier this year.
Principal City Planner Jeff Hook said Tuesday that the Planning Center, the consulting group hired by the city to write the plan, had received the final review from the Planning Commission made last month. That version, a preliminary draft that included input from the General Plan Advisory Committee, was now being complied into a public hearing version, which would ultimately go before the Planning Commission and City Council for review. That version may be released next month for public review, Hook said. The Commission is expected to begin its review May 15.
Hook said a joint meeting between the council, GPAC and Planning Commission to discuss GPAC’s recommendations for the plan, as well as a response to the Planning Commission’s changes, is planned for late May.
Hook has hopes to have the plan approved by August, but admitted it was potentially further off.
“I think that’s going to slip a little bit,” Hook said. “There will be a lot of public interest. And things always seem to take longer than we expect.”