SCHS 50th Anniversary Group Looking for Help

The first San Clemente High School graduation. All 50 graduating classes from the school are invited to Homecoming this year and efforts underway to create a bronze statue honoring all of the school’s graduates. Photo: Courtesy

San Clemente’s one and only high school is turning 50 next school year. SCHS opened its doors in 1964 and the first graduating class walked across that platform in the gym in 1965.

The 50th Anniversary Committee at SCHS is made up of a group of alumni from various classes and some parents whose children are currently attending SCHS or whose children are alumni.

The Capistrano Unified School District begins work this summer on a Tritons 50th communal area in the large space next to the band room at the front of the school. The design will include grass, trees and places to gather with friends. The 50th anniversary committee’s goal is to also add a bronze statue or monument, designed by Bill Limebrook from the class of 1976.

The group is planning a bronze plaque that will carry the names of those who contributed at various levels to the statue or monument. The website to get involved is www.schs50th.com. They hope to raise $2,000 per graduating class and get the community partners involved in the fundraising. They hope that some “friendly” competition between classes will kick off their efforts.

All alumni will be invited for an all-call reunion during Homecoming. There will be a hospitality tent for alumni including a catered dinner, special seating at the game and other great events to join in on.

The group is looking for additional committee members to join them. To get more information on how you can be involved, contact schsS50th@gmail.com.

10 Responses to “SCHS 50th Anniversary Group Looking for Help”

1. Sally (Fischer) Reinholdt
    July 24, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Checking in to help. The Class of 1968 rules. We get together every month. Game on.

• jay watts
      September 9, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Sally….1968 did rule….I was the only grad on crutches…remember?

2. william
    July 26, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Hi, What will the volunteers do? I may want to help.

3. Charlotte kessy
    August 5, 2014 at 9:46 pm #

I can help :-) 75 rules always !

• William
      August 5, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

Hi, do you know who the coordinator of this event is? Who do we contact if we want to help?

4. Mark Koester
    August 5, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

Come on Class of 1985. Let’s make it happen. Volunteering will be a great to honor our schools 50th anniversary.

5. Jane (Divel) Nichols
    August 6, 2014 at 8:51 am #

I don’t live in San Clemente anymore, but let me know what volunteers can do from afar! (I’m in San Luis Obispo). Class of 1975 Rules!

6. Wendy Yoder
    August 6, 2014 at 11:58 am #

If you would like to help send an email to schs50th@gmail.com. Please check out our Facebook Page at SCHS 50th Anniversary. For more info, to purchase your tickets and donate to the statue fund at our website http://www.schs50th.com. Thanks for your interest and hope to see you at Homecoming on Oct 10th.

7. Maureen Redfield
    October 11, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

Would love to participate in the reunion. I was the director of counseling and also director of student. Activities….much fun working with the class leaders selecting the mascot , colors, etc.

Please let me know what I can do tohelp
    Maureen Redfield

Ps…I remember putting in locker combo the night before school opened…..along with my husband. Supt Eldon Schafer and Principal Dan Angel…..seems like yesterday

I think there a few staff still around

• jay watts
      October 13, 2014 at 11:25 am #

Triton grad 1968. Would like to attend. Please keep me posted.