By Shawn Raymundo
The city is currently in the early stages of reviewing and evaluating proposals it had received from prospective bidders interested in reopening San Clemente’s hospital, Assistant City Manager Erik Sund told San Clemente Times this week.
Back in December, the council approved the release of the request for proposals (RFP) that sought to acquire interest about resurrecting the blighted hospital on Camino De Los Mares from health care operators and medical service providers.
The RFP was scheduled for release on Jan. 8, with a deadline for proposals for Feb. 3.
Sund, on Tuesday, Feb. 25, was unable to discuss the details regarding the proposals, such as how many were submitted nor the types of organizations and companies that participated. He estimates that city staff will be talking with the council about the proposals in April.
“I think we’re going to be talking to them probably in the April time frame,” he said. “It’ll probably be closed session initially, but then be public as well.” An initial draft of the RFP, which had been released to the public before being gutted ahead of the council’s Dec. 17 meeting, estimated the cost to renovate the hospital at about $62.81 million. The cost to construct a whole new facility was estimated to be about $163 million.
Shawn Raymundo is the city editor for the San Clemente Times. He graduated from Arizona State University with a bachelor’s degree in Global Studies. Before joining Picket Fence Media, he worked as the government accountability reporter for the Pacific Daily News in the U.S. territory of Guam. Follow him on Twitter @ShawnzyTsunami and follow San Clemente Times @SCTimesNews.