MARY ELLEN BOBP, San Clemente
I have observed many instances of unsafe behavior and bad judgment by riders of e-bikes when walking on San Clemente’s coastal trails to Trestles. Some suggestions I’d put forward are:
- Require all e-bikes to be equipped with lights for night-time riding.
- Recommend that riders of e-bikes wear high-visible clothing at night so drivers can see them, since they are sharing the road with powerful vehicles.
- Recommend riders wear protective shoes, not flip-flops.
- Require e-bikes to be equipped with some type of bell to warn pedestrians and dogs that they are being passed.
- Make it mandatory that riders of e-bikes pass some type of certification so they know to stop at stop signs, etc.
- Talking on the phone while driving an e-bike should not be allowed.
- I don’t know what to suggest for people who choose to drive poorly with children in tow.
It seems like riders of electric bikes should be required to get a license just like motorcyclists, and that electric bikes should be registered, since some riders are devoid of common sense.