JACKIE DOOLEY, San Clemente
Steve Knoblock says it is “common perception that elections have been tampered with,” and he has spoken with “numerous people” who believe election integrity has diminished.
Yes, it’s a common perception. He and many others are buying into “alternative facts” that have no basis in reality. We all know that extreme partisanship is rampant.
A recent President of the United States believes that the 2020 election was stolen from him, despite numerous state and local audits that have revealed miniscule nationwide fraud.
Knoblock plans to pester our state legislators about the security and accuracy of elections. Like other conspiracy theorists, he clearly doesn’t know that California and Orange County already follow rigorous practices that refute every one of his inaccurate claims.
- Data is never exposed to the internet until it has been counted and audited.
- Election workers verify each voter’s identity, address, registration status, and whether they have already voted.
- Inactive voters are regularly dropped from the voter rolls, including deceased residents and those who have moved away.
- Drop boxes are 100% secure; they can survive being rammed by a truck.
- OC audits a statistically valid sample of ballots. In the 2020 election, zero discrepancies were found in the audit. All of the above information is easily available on official websites.
You can help. Learn about our elections processes and the security measures that are rigorously followed. Use that knowledge and don’t spread incendiary misinformation that undermines public confidence. Help our democracy thrive instead of contributing to lies, deceit, and insurrection.
Councilman Knoblock, it’s time for you to recognize that you are ill-qualified to serve in public office and step down. You represent us poorly. You’ve embarrassed yourself twice last month, first with your “sanctuary for life” resolution that was withdrawn due to public outrage, and now for fomenting lies about elections.