Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County will begin its Summer Food Service Program on June 3 at 51 sites throughout the county. Free meals will be provided to all children, without eligibility documentation, who are 18 years old and younger. The program will allow 2,500 children to have access to nutritious lunches and snacks when school is out for the summer, while also bringing health education to those who need it most within our community, said a press release from Second Harvest.
“With one in six children in our county at risk of hunger, it is imperative that we do what we can to provide access to healthy food for them,” said Harald Herrmann, CEO of Second Harvest. “Our Summer Program allows us to do just that, by following the need and serving the children in our community who must have healthy and nutritious meals to grow mentally and physically.”
As the largest nonprofit hunger relief organization in Orange County, Second Harvest will offer healthy morning and afternoon snacks and lunches, including chicken wraps, fruit, milk, and turkey sandwiches, among other foods. The program is intended for children from families who struggle financially. Distribution sites are near schools in which at least 50 percent of students receive a free or reduced-cost lunch. This program helps bridge the meal gap for those who rely on the free and reduced-cost meals during the school year.
Second Harvest distributes donated, purchased and prepared foods through a network of more than 200 partner agencies. Last year, the nonprofit provided a record 25.1 million meals, feeding more than 250,000 people each month. Every dollar donated to Second Harvest helps provide enough food for three meals for the hungry. Second Harvest is a member of Feeding America, a national hunger relief organization. For more information about their work and how you can help, visit FeedOC.org.